Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cultural Artifact Analysis

Nicole Tucker
Bonnie Moore
English 2010
24 April 2014
Tucker Swag
            When you think of a typical family vacation you picture a mom, dad, and children walking down Main Street, USA in the Disney Land Resort or a family of five boarding a cruise boat.  For spending quality time together, you imagine families going on picnics, family walks, or boating trips.  Family traditions are pictures as a fancy Christmas Eve dinner and hanging up the stockings above the fireplace.  What you don’t think of as a family vacation is spending a week in a farmhouse on the outskirts of Boise, Idaho.  Jamming out, making a funny video to a Katy Perry song is a little out of the norm when it comes to family bonding.  Christmas traditions don’t normally include back scratches before presents can be opened.  Through the cultural artifacts I have collected this year it is obvious my family has some odd quirks.  We may not bond in the typical family way but we still have strong ties rooting from our family legacy and current family memories.
            The Tucker and Johansen families carry great legacy.  While gathering family stories for the legend, recipe, and four-generation chart Cultural Artifacts, my mom and I found fascinating information and stories about many of our ancestors.  I was mesmerized by the strength and courage they had to pack up, leave life as they knew it in Europe, and move to America.  Many of them made the journey due to their newfound faith in the Mormon church.  They were voyagers; they were truth seekers.  All of their stories collided here in the state of Utah and now two or three generations later, my siblings and I grew up strong in their same faith, which has been inherited from their steadfastness in living what they believe.  It was because of my ancestor’s diligence, hard work, and loyalty to their families and their faith that my immediate family today has something to hold onto when times get rough. 
            Quirky bonding moments and random inside jokes are the family memories I hold close.  From our family vacation in Boise, Idaho to our very odd Christmas morning tradition of back scratching, it’s the abnormal characteristics of my family that stand out to me.  It’s the funny voice my dad uses when he’s in his joking mood or the way my little sisters imitate it by exaggerating his mannerisms.  It’s the stark personality differences of my two older brothers and their equally wonderful wife additions to our family.  It’s the undying love and care our moma bear has for all of us.  All five of my siblings and I currently attend different schools.  Oak Canyon Jr. High, Pleasant Grove High School, Utah State University, Brigham Young University, and Eastern Oregon University all have one thing in common: they are educating some of the greatest people I know.  Despite our distances, we bond through iPhone group messages with emoji wars, tweeting at each other, and making it onto each other’s snapchat “best friend” list.  We even have our own hashtag we use to specifically label the tweets and instagram posts devoted to our family. 

            Through gathering the cultural artifacts over the course of the semester, I have enjoyed learning and reflecting about my ancestral, extended, and immediate family.  Some of the artifacts may have caused surprise or given a good laugh because of their aberrant quality but they are true and they are a part of my family legacy.  We may not be a normally behaved family with typical bonding moments or memories but our #TuckerSwag rides forever and I love it exactly the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment