Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Cultural Artifact: Family Song

Nicole Tucker
John Tucker, Father
Lindon, Utah
2011

Title: Head Bangin’ to Katy Perry

Genre: Family song

Informant:  The main reason I would call this pop song a “family song” is because of my father, John Tucker. He is the most dedicated, self-disciplined person I’ve ever met in my entire life.  He works so hard all day every day.  Some times my family and I think he is a robot because of how much perseverance he has inside of him.  He has completed ten full marathons and probably 70+ half marathons just with in the past five years.  He runs his own landscaping and snow removal business in Utah County and has for the past 30 years.  He also owns a popcorn business and a business park complex on the side.  He’s taught me that when a task is received, it gets done and there’s no option in that.  His example of hard work has helped me learn how important it is.  I’ve been able to incorporate that into my own character, which has greatly influence my life.

Context: Being a teenager in the 80’s, my dad grew up on classics like Madonna, Belinda Carlisle, and Cyndi Lauper.  But now living in the year 2014 there are a few female pop sensations that he has grown to appreciate as well; to name a few: Lady GaGa, Ellie Goulding, and Katy Perry.  One night a couple of years ago, my family and I were sitting in my living room when my dad came in and said, “I have a new song but I don’t know what it is.   I heard it on the radio and it goes like this: do-do-do-do-doo-do-do-doo.”  After his attempt to sing us the melody, we all looked at each other and burst out laughing.  It took us days to figure out what song he was trying to describe to us.  Once we finally put the pieces together, he blasted the song from our iTunes in the office on repeat while he worked on schedules for his landscaping business.  People don’t believe me when I saw my dad jams out to Katy Perry to get pumped for his marathons either.  For some odd reason my dad thought that was the coolest song out there.  We were on a family trip and it became the anthem of our trip just because he felt like life was flawless when he was out on the open road, driving with his family in the car while jamming out to that song.  That memory associated with this song has become an inside joke between my siblings and me.

Text:   E.T. by Katy Perry
You're so hypnotizing

Could you be the devil?
Could you be an angel?

Your touch magnetizing

Feels like I am floating, leaves my body glowing
They say be afraid

You're not like the others, futuristic lover

Different DNA
They don't understand you
You're from a whole other world

A different dimension

You open my eyes

And I'm ready to go, lead me into the light
Chorus: [Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
Infect me with your loving

Fill me with your poison
Take me, ta-ta-take me
Wanna be a victim

Ready for abduction
Boy, you're an alien

Your touch so foreign
It's supernatural

Extraterrestrial]
You're so supersonic
Wanna feel your powers, stun me with your lasers

Your kiss is cosmic
Every move is magic
You're from a whole other world

A different dimension

You open my eyes
And I'm ready to go, lead me into the light
[Chorus]
This is transcendental

On another level

Boy, you're my lucky star
I wanna walk on your wavelength

And be there when you vibrate
For you I'll risk it all
[Chorus]
Texture:  Katy Perry’s music is very pop and this song especially has a good head-banging beat.  The lyrics are pretty pointless and probably aren’t the most appropriate, but that’s what makes it so funny: the fact that my very responsible father chooses to enjoy this type of song.
Meaning: This instance is one of the few insides jokes that my whole family—Dad, mom, and all five (including me) siblings—share. Only in recent years have we bonded like this, but I love it.  I love it when my entire family gets to spend time together, though it isn’t very often.  My oldest brother lives out of state with his wife, and my second oldest brother will be getting married in May.  All five of us kids attend different schools and universities which makes my mom a proud mama but she sure does miss us, and mourns over the fact that we’re all growing up so fast.  When we do all come back together, even if it is for just a couple days every few months, I sure do treasure the moments we get to laugh and create new inside jokes together.
Bonnie Moore

English 2010 10:30AM
(Here's a little video to go along with  the memory that features my mom, my sisters, and me.)


No comments:

Post a Comment